- The Bible contains sixty-six books, written by forty authors, covering a period of approximately sixteen hundred years.
- The word “Bible” comes from the Greek word [biblos], meaning “book”.
- The word “testament” means covenant or agreement. God made an agreement based on law (Deut. 4:5) – called the Old Testament – regarding man’s salvation before Christ came. God’s new agreement, or Testament, was a Covenant of Grace (Gal. 3:17-25) & describes man’s salvation after Christ came.
- Jesus quoted from twenty-two Old Testament books.
- The book of Hebrews quotes the Old Testament eighty-five times.
- Revelation quotes the Old Testament 245 times.
- The longest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 119 (176 verses).
- The shortest chapter is Psalm 117 (two verses).
- The longest verse in the Bible is found in Esther 8:9 (more than ninety words).
- Shortest verse: John 11:35 (two words).
- The longest book in the Old Testament: Psalms (150 chapters).
- The longest book in the New Testament: Luke
- The shortest book in the Old Testament: Obadiah (21 verses).
- The shortest book in the New Testament: 2 John (13 verses).
- The oddest verse in the Bible – 1 Chronicles 26:18! (Look it up in the KJV of the Bible).
- Other than the word “the”, the word most often used in the Bible is “Lord”.
- The two longest words in the Bible (it’s a tie) read:
- Jonath-Elem-Rechokim (Ps. 56) means “a silent dove of far-off lands” (distant oaks).
- Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz (Isa. 8:1)- the name of Isaiah’s son; means “quick to the plunder, swift to spoil”.
- The shortest prayer in the Bible: “Lord, save me!” – when Peter was walking on the water and became afraid.
- The longest prayers:
- Nehemiah’s prayer of praise and confession (9:5-38); and
- Jesus’ high priestly prayer (John 17).
Things we Cannot Know:
- The time of Jesus’ return (Mt. 24:36).
- How God’s sovereignty works (Rom. 11:33-36).
- How the relationship between Father, Son & Holy Spirit works in the Trinity.
- The writer of the book of Hebrews.
- The essence of Eternity (Gen. 1:1; John 1:1)
- God – unless we first know His Son, Jesus Christ.
Some Extremes of the Bible…
The smallest things mentioned in the Bible:
- A gnat (Matthew 22:34) • An ant (Proverbs 6:6)
- A flea (1 Samuel 24:14) • A mustard seed (Mark 4:31)
- A tittle – part of a Hebrew language letter (Mt.5:18 KJV)
The baldest men in the Bible: Sampson (Judges 16:19); Ezra (Ezra 9:3); Job (Job 1:20); Paul (Acts 21:23-24); Elisha (2Kings 2:23 – The only naturally bald man recorded in the Bible.)
The hairiest men in the Bible: Esau (Genesis 27:11-23); Samson (Judges 16:17); Absalom (2 Samuel 14:26); Elijah (2 Kings 1:8); King Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 4:33); John the Baptist (Luke 1:15).
When the sun stood still or changed direction:
Joshua 10:12-13… It stood still as Israel fought against the Amorites.
2 Kings 20:8-11… It changed directions as a sign to King Hezekiah.
People whom God raised from the dead:
- Elijah raised the son of the Zarephath widow (1 Kings 17:17-22)
- Elisha raised the son of the Shunamite woman (2 Kings 4:32-35)
- A man was raised from the dead when his body touched Elisha’s bones (2 Kings 13:20-21)… to be continued.